2018-19 School Start/End Times Study
Noting that the current schedule was implemented as a one-year option to allow for further study, the School Board directed Superintendent Schultz to develop a study process in which schedules for 2018-19 and beyond could be reviewed and approved.
The second phase of the School Start/End Times Study began earlier this fall with a review of the 2016-17 study and an updated transportation efficiency study to assess current operations and updated ridership data given the changes in start/end times and new grade configurations.
Recognizing that no start/end time schedule will meet the needs of all students and families, the Edina School Board and district leadership are committed to finding the solution that best meets the needs of students, builds on data and research on the effects of sleep and school times on children, and aligns with current district resources.
About the Study
- WHAT - Phase Two of the School Start/End Times Study to advance further study and decide on schedule for 2018-19 and beyond
- WHO - While facilitated by the School Board and Superintendent Schultz, Phase Two of the School Start/End Times Study will consider the impact of schedules on all stakeholders including families and staff, but most importantly will focus on the needs of students and their learning and engagement.
- WHY - The outcome of the 2016-17 study ended with a one-year solution with agreement on further study. A change from the previous schedule was needed to implement the shift of ninth grade to the high school, which limited the district’s ability to maintain the previous schedule without significant increase in cost.
- HOW - The School Board and Superintendent Schultz will develop a process that allows for stakeholder input and data gathering that builds off of the research and input collected in Phase One (2016-17).
- WHEN - In order to address the one time budget enhancement for the 2017-18 schedule and to allow for ample study, the School Board is reviewing whether changes need to made for 2018-19 and beyond that align with fiscal conditions and the latest research. See the study timeline.
Public Hearing - Nov. 27, 2017, 6-8 p.m.
The Edina School Board is hosting a special public hearing on school start/end times Monday, Nov. 27 from 6-8 p.m. in the Edina Community Center Room 349.
The purpose of the hearing is to provide an opportunity for community participation and to collect insights from students, families and staff about the benefits and challenges of the current schedule as well as additional questions and concerns to be considered as the district evaluates future options.