About Edina Public Schools
Edina Public Schools is a nationally recognized suburban public school district serving approximately 8,500 students. The District includes six elementary schools (gr. K-5), two middle schools (gr. 6-8), and one high school (gr. 9-12). The District also includes the award winning Early Learning Center, providing early learning opportunities for children age 0-5 and their families, and Community Education Services providing programs and services for learners of all ages, from birth through age 85+. Edina Public Schools serves a large portion of the City of Edina, a first-tier Minneapolis suburb of approximately 47,900 residents.
Mission and Values
The mission of the Edina Public Schools, working in partnership with the family and the community, is to educate all individuals to be responsible, lifelong learners who possess the skills, knowledge, creativity, sense of self-worth, and ethical values necessary to thrive in a rapidly changing, culturally diverse, global society.
We Care through our:
- Compassion in helping others with what they need as a part of who we are
- Appreciation of Diversity by understanding, respecting and embracing all people
We Share through our:
- Responsibility by being accountable for my work, interactions and relationships
- Commitment in keeping the promises we make to self and others
We Dare through our:
- Integrity by doing the right thing at the right time even when no one is watching
- Courage by meeting challenge in the midst of easier ways out and doubt
Strategic Plan: Building the Next Generation of Edina Public Schools
Edina Public Schools is steeped in a strong tradition of excellence. But we know that we have a changing student body, a changing community, and changing workforce expectations. While our brand continues to be strong, we must look at developing that next generation of Edina Public Schools to ensure we are meeting the needs of the students of today as well as those we will serve tomorrow. Through customized learning, innovative programming, and a commitment to partnership, the Edina Public Schools are focusing on the needs of today’s learners with an eye to the future.
Part of our Next Generation plan is to look at increasing partnerships, not only locally and nationally, but also internationally. As part of our strategic studies – including a comprehensive secondary academic programming study and a facilities study currently underway, and preK - elementary programming study slated for next year – we are looking at examples from around the country and the globe to develop schools and programs that are developed for the needs of 21st century students.
Total enrollment in Edina Public Schools (EPS) is approximately 8,500 students:
- 85% of resident school-age students attend Edina Public Schools; 15% of the student population joins EPS through state open enrollment programs
- 24% of Edina Public Schools students report minority status, an increase of over 10% in the last ten years.
- 4% of students receive English Learner services, with EPS families speaking 44 different languages at home
- 9% of Edina students qualify for Free and Reduced priced meals
- 10% of students receive Special Education services
- 18% of EPS students are served by our Gifted and Talented Program
- 98.1% of students graduate from Edina High School, with 94% pursuing some sort of higher education
Edina students regularly place among the top two or three Minnesota school districts on state reading, math and writing tests. In fact, Edina is often considered a benchmark school for other districts in the state
- ACT – average composite score 26.3, with 96% of the senior class taking the ACT in 2015-16
- According to ACT college readiness report, Edina High School graduates out performed state peers by over 30%.
- SAT – average scores: 648 (reading), 650 (math), and 628 (writing), with 15% of the senior class taking the SAT in 2014-15
- In 2015, two EHS students were named National Hispanic Scholars based on test scores from the PSAT
- Advanced Placement – EPS offers over 25 AP classes. In 2015-16, over 1,000 students (equivalent to half of the students at EHS) took AP tests, 87% of which achieved scores of 3 or higher, and 522 students earned Advanced Placement Scholar awards, including 71 National AP Scholars.
- EHS administers almost twice as many AP exams as any other Minnesota high school
- National Merit Scholarship Program – Edina High School has had National Merit semifinalists and finalists each year the National Merit Foundation has been in existence. In 2015-16, 49 students were recognized with National Merit honors, including 14 semifinalists.
Awards and Honors
- U.S. Department of Education – Six EPS schools have earned National Blue Ribbon School honors, including in Normandale Elementary French Immersion School in 2012. Normandale and Highlands Elementary have both earned the national distinction twice.
- Newsweek – Edina High School was one of the 2016 “Best High Schools” in America. Edina was ranked 4th in Minnesota and was ranked 86th nationally. EHS has made the list six times in the last ten years.
- U.S. News & World Report – In 2016, Edina High School was named a Gold Medalist for high performance on state assessments and college readiness. Only the top 2.5% of high schools nationwide earning the ranking.
- Earned Best High School for Math & Science honors in 2011
- Partnership for 21st Century Learning – Edina High School was named the first Minnesota P21 Exemplaor school in recognition of preparing students for post-secondary success.
- Sports Illustrated - Edina’s athletics program is ranked 8th in the nation by Sports Illustrated Magazine. The ranking is done once a decade and recognizes all-around achievement over a 10-year period
- America’s Promise Alliance – Edina has three times been recognized as one of the nation’s “100 Best Communities for Young People” by America’s Promise for fostering youth leadership and cultivating healthy, high-achieving students.
- Forbes – Forbes.com named Edina among “America’s 25 Best Schools for Your Housing Buck” in 2010.
- Siemens - EHS received the 2009 Siemens Award, a national recognition given to high schools with outstanding Advanced Placement Programs
- NAMM Foundation – 2012 Best Community for Music Education as named by the NAMM Foundation; one of 176 communities nationwide, and one of four in Minnesota acknowledged for commitment to and support of music education as part of the core curriculum.
- AAA Bond Ratings (Moody’s Investors and Standard and Poor's Ratings Services) – the high financial rankings allow EPS to obtain low interest rates when borrowing.
- Google – EPS was named one of 10 global winners in Google “Gone Google Story” content. EPS was recognized for its innovative use of Google Apps to transform the way students and staff engage in learning in a global society
- Best Buy – As part of its new eLearning2 initiative, EPS announced a unique partnership with Best Buy to provide students with access to personal learning devices and technology support services at a significant discount. The eLearning2 program aims to take the Bring Your Own Device model to a new level that is student driven and enhanced by quality teachers and instruction.
Student Involvement (Edina High School)
- Over 84% students participate in Edina High School clubs each year
- EHS offers 31 student-led clubs, with the Youth Serving Youth Program offering an additional nine groups focused on leadership, community service and social awareness
- Nearly 300 students participate in Edina High School Thespians
- Nearly 300 students participate in Concert, Varsity, Symphonic and Marching bands in addition to jazz bands, pep bands, and numerous small ensembles. For over 64 consecutive years, the Concert Band has achieved a “Superior” rating at the MN State High School competitions
- About 130 students participate in Edina High School orchestras.
- Nearly 300 students participate in Edina High School choirs and ensembles
- 35 athletic teams are offered at Edina High School
- Edina students have won 163 state championships, making Edina number one among the 500 members of the Minnesota State High School League.
- Over 1,300 students participate on one or more Edina High School athletic teams; 96 additional students participated in intramural sports