Excellence in Edina Public Schools
Edina Public Schools is among the top public school systems in the country for one reason -- the quality of academic experience we offer every student.
2020-21 Academic Year
EPS STUDENTS - 8,348 (K-12)
Edina Public School students excel in all areas of academics, activities, and athletics.
- Community and student body are becoming more diverse: 28.3% students of color, 5% English Learners
- A leading MN public school with an average 26.5 Composite ACT score in 2020
- EHS students score high in ACT College Readiness Benchmarks, predictive of success in college-equivalent courses: 90% met English composition benchmark; 76% met college mathematics; 78% met college science; 82% met college reading
- 25 National Merit Finalists: 22 National Merit Commended Scholars
- 336 graduates are Edina Scholars, having maintained a weighted cumulative GPA at or above 3.5 from gr. 9 through the first semester of their senior year; 64 graduates are Edina Scholars with Distinction having also served at least one semester of service in the EHS Peer Tutoring Program
- Despite the challenges of the pandemic, 110 students received Service Letters, contributing a total of 16,205 hours to the district and greater Edina community
- 139 graduates will receive recognition for bilingual and multilingual proficiency with their diploma: 11 Platinum Seals, 54 Gold Seals and 74 Certificates. Of those, one student is trilingual, and three are multilingual.
- 84% of students participate in one or more extracurricular activities or athletics
- 87% of AP test takers earn a 3+ (qualifying score for college credit) in 2020
This year in our schools:
- 5 more state championships added during winter and spring season - 192 total state championships
- 15 EPS students recognized for achievements in National Latin Exam
- VVMS 8th grader placed first in the middle school video division of the Minnesota Urban Debate League and Star Tribune-sponsored essay/video competition on criminal justice reform
- 2 EHS senior Global Scholars won Exceptional Ministerial Delegates awards at the Model G20® Youth Leadership Summit
- EHS senior Haley Reeck named the 2021 Athena Award recipient
- EHS and SVMS yearbooks featured in Jostens Look Book 2021
- 4 EHS students advance to Academic WorldQuest national competition
- EHS 212 student leadership group shares on The Power of Young People to Change the World radio show
- Edina youth robotics team advances to state championship
- 7 EHS students recognized for their participation in the American Academy of Poets’ “Dear Poet” letter-writing activity
- EHS 9th grader will be a delegate to the Congress of Future Medical Leaders
- EHS junior wins the Catholic Forensic League National Championship in extemporaneous speaking - first Minnesota student to win in ten years
Level of academic achievement and longevity with the district are an indication of the dedication EPS teaching staff has to our students.
- 90% of EPS teachers have master’s degree or higher
- 58% of EPS teachers have been with the district 10 or more years
- 20% of staff have national certification in their field
- Valley View gym named after retiring Edina administrator for “extraordinary service to our schools and community”
- Director of DMTS honored with IMS Global Leadership Award
- Of the 15 Minnesota teachers that received national certification, 8 were EPS teachers
- EHS biology teacher selected as a Claes Nobel Educator of Distinction by The National Society of High School Scholars
System-wide focus on academic excellence for EVERY student has earned EPS reputation for academic rigor, innovation, responsible use of resources.
- U.S. News ranked EHS in Top 5 Minnesota public, non-charter schools
- 2021 #1 Best College Prep High School in Minnesota by Niche.com
- 2020 EHS in top 500 of America’s Best STEM High Schools by Newsweek
- Class of 2020 ACT test-takers post higher average scores than previous years
- Aaa credit rating by Moody’s: 1 of 3 in state to receive highest rating granted to school districts
- The Edina MealFund received the Mayor’s Commendation for Service to Youth
The Edina community continues to show overwhelming support for the school district in surveys and as voting taxpayers.
2021 survey results:
- 90% of parents say EPS schools are better/same quality as 3 years ago
- 86% say District’s financial management is “excellent” or “good” (8% increase over last year)
- 82% say they are “proud” and would recommend Edina Schools
- More than 80% give teachers, principals, administration and school board favorable job performance ratings
2021 $7M Technology Levy and $7M Bond Issue:
- Approved by 70% of voters
Visit the District Homepage to view District News and Achievements where you can read more about the achievements of EPS students, staff and schools!
A philosophy of continuous improvement is fundamental at Edina Public Schools. In strategic planning, curriculum and policy development, and community engagement, EPS focuses its work on growing toward a future that is both challenging and exciting. Continuous improvement is what makes EPS a national leader in 21st Century education and earns the District high rankings and top spots on lists that measure quality by many standards.
EPS advances its continuous improvement strategies while providing consistent academic quality that has been a hallmark of the District for decades. Sustaining this quality and reputation into the future can only be achieved by evolving to meet the diverse needs of students, who will live and work in a world that is constantly changing. That has been, and will continue to be, the definition of Edina Excellence.