Excellence in Edina Public Schools
Edina Public Schools is among the top public school systems in the country for one reason -- the quality of academic experience we offer every student.
EPS STUDENTS - 8,510 (K-12)
Edina Public School students excel in all areas of academics, activities, and athletics.
- Community and student body are becoming more diverse: 27% students of color, 5.3% English Learners
- Resident enrollment remains consistent with demographic study. Open enrollment is consistent at 15% - equal to resident students choosing other options.
- 2018 four-year graduation rate is 96.6% (Minnesota state average is 83.2%)
- 2018 Average ACT composite score is 25.8 (well above state and national average). For the past five years, EHS has shared the top spot with neighboring district Minnetonka.
- EHS students score high in ACT College Readiness Benchmarks, predictive of success in college-equivalent courses: 86% met English composition benchmark; 71% met college algebra; 76% met social science; 72% met college biology
17 National Merit Finalists
30 National Merit Commended Scholars
5 National Hispanic Scholars
69 National AP Scholars
256 AP Scholars with Distinction
101 AP Scholars with Honor
192 AP Scholars
This year in our schools:
- 181 total state championships - 7 added this year (so far)
- 84% of students participate in one or more extracurricular activities or athletics
- Robotics Team wins World Chairman’s Award; first MN team in Robotics Hall of Fame
- Repertory Orchestra performs at Orchestra Hall after earning 2 Superior with Distinction ratings
- Music Listening Team wins State Championship
- 3 students recognized by National Center for Women and Information Technology
- 40 compete in state Latin competition; 3 finish in First Place/Level 1 competition
- This month, EHS will welcome 18 students from So. Korea in school’s first exchange experience under new sister school arrangement. EHS students will travel to Andong, So. Korean in the fall.
- 5 Valley View Math Team members competed at State level
- South View Peer Insights recognized by PACER Center and featured in national middle level education magazine
- 3 Valley View sixth graders eligible for national science fair application
- Science fairs at elementary schools provide opportunity for students to explore their interests in biology, chemistry, computer science, earth science, planetary science, engineering, environmental science, physics and more
- Through family service nights, craft bazaars, toy drives, treats for troops, a mitten tree, Impact Days and in many other ways, Edina students offer support to people in our community and beyond
Level of academic achievement and longevity with the district are an indication of the dedication EPS teaching staff has to our students.
- 81% of EPS teachers have master’s degree or higher
- 58% of EPS teachers have been with the district 10 or more years
- 55 staff members are Nationally Board Certified in their field
- EHS science teacher awarded Fulbright Fellowship
- South View music teacher published in Oxford University Press handbook for teaching
System-wide focus on academic excellence for EVERY student has earned EPS reputation for academic rigor, innovation, responsible use of resources.
- 2019 U.S. News rankings placed EHS in top 10 in state; 614 out of 17,000+ in U.S.
- 2019 #1 Best College Prep High School in Minnesota by Niche.com
- 2019 #1 Best High School in Minnesota by PolarisList.com for sending students to elite colleges
- 2019 Environmental Leadership Award for responsible use of road salt
- All 9 schools certified by Common Sense Education for smart, responsible use of technology
- Early Learning Center awarded MDE grant for staff training in student social/emotional learning
- Aaa credit rating by Moody’s: 1 of 3 in state to receive highest rating granted to school districts
The Edina community continues to show overwhelming support for the school district in surveys and as voting taxpayers.
- 2018 survey of Edina community showed overwhelming support for the school district:
- 94% say EPS provides a quality education
- 91% give teachers highest ratings
- 96% agree that EPS is high achieving and promotes excellence
- 92% say they are proud of EPS and would recommend to friends
- 88% say “I trust the School Board and Administration to do what is right for children in the district.”
- Last year, 344 community members ahd high school students volunteered more than 20,330 hours in classrooms and programs
A philosophy of continuous improvement is fundamental at Edina Public Schools. In strategic planning, curriculum and policy development, and community engagement, EPS focuses its work on growing toward a future that is both challenging and exciting. Continuous improvement is what makes EPS a national leader in 21st Century education and earns the District high rankings and top spots on lists that measure quality by many standards.
EPS advances its continuous improvement strategies while providing consistent academic quality that has been a hallmark of the District for decades. Sustaining this quality and reputation into the future can only be achieved by evolving to meet the diverse needs of students, who will live and work in a world that is constantly changing. That has been, and will continue to be, the definition of Edina Excellence.
Good things are happening every day in Edina Public Schools. Here is what happened during one month - April 2019.