Excellence in Edina Public Schools
Edina Public Schools is among the top public school systems in the country for one reason -- the quality of academic experience we offer every student.
2019-20 Academic Year
EPS STUDENTS - 8,510 (K-12)
Edina Public School students excel in all areas of academics, activities, and athletics.
- Community and student body are becoming more diverse: 27% students of color, 5% English Learners
- Resident enrollment remains consistent with demographic study. Open enrollment is consistent at 15.4% - equal to resident students choosing other options.
- 2019 four-year graduation rate is 95.6% (Minnesota state average is 83.7%)
- 2019 Average ACT composite score is 26.3 (well above state and national average).
- EHS students score high in ACT College Readiness Benchmarks, predictive of success in college-equivalent courses: 89% met English composition benchmark; 72% met college algebra; 78% met social science; 74% met college biology
17 National Merit Finalists
20 National Merit Commended Scholars
3 National Hispanic Scholars
This year in our schools:
- 187 total state championships - 5 added this year
- 84% of students participate in one or more extracurricular activities or athletics
- EHS Repertory Orchestra received 2 Superior with Distinction ratings
- 26 EPS students recognized for achievements in National Latin Exam
- 4 SVMS eighth graders qualified for stat History Day Competition
- 6 EHS students recognized by National Center for Women and Information Technology
- EHS senior selected as Dell Scholar
- 2 eighth grade students selected for and performed in Minnesota Band Directors Association State Honor Jazz Band
- Music Listening Team took first place at Region 8 Music Listening Contest
- 4 robotic teams advanced to state FIRST® robotics tournaments
- Seventh grader took first in category at School Chess Association Frozen Open tournament
- EHS’ debate team received multiple accolades at 119th MSHSL State Debate Tournament
- EHS hip hop competition dance team took first place at DX Americup Nationals
- 5 EHS freshman selected to be members of the Middle Level Honors Orchestra
- EHS junior selected to represent Minnesota in the U.S. Senate Youth Program in Washington D.C.
- EHS senior received Edina Human Rights & relations Commission’s 2019 Tom Oye Award
- Edina Hornet Marching Band performed in the Outback Bowl
- Concord fifth grader’s artwork selected as public sculpture at Centennial Lakes Park
Level of academic achievement and longevity with the district are an indication of the dedication EPS teaching staff has to our students.
- 83.8% of EPS teachers have master’s degree or higher
- 61% of EPS teachers have been with the district 10 or more years
- 54 staff members are Nationally Board Certified in their field
- French government recognizes Normandale principal’s devotion to language, culture
- South View team of educators receives personalized learning Trailblazer Award
- Edina teacher selected as Economic Educator of the Year by Minnesota Council on Economic Education
System-wide focus on academic excellence for EVERY student has earned EPS reputation for academic rigor, innovation, responsible use of resources.
- EPS ranked top school for student success in Minnesota by USA Today
- U.S. News ranked EHS in Top 10 Minnesota public, non-charter schools
- 2020 #1 Best College Prep High School in Minnesota by Niche.com
- 2020 EHS in top 500 of America’s Best STEM High Schools by Newsweek
- Class of 2019 ACT test-takers post higher average scores than previous years
- Quality seal awarded to Normandale Elementary by French Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Education
- Aaa credit rating by Moody’s: 1 of 3 in state to receive highest rating granted to school districts
The Edina community continues to show overwhelming support for the school district in surveys and as voting taxpayers.
- 2019 survey of Edina community showed overwhelming support for the school district:
- 93% say EPS provides a quality education
- 87% give teachers highest ratings
- 97% agree that EPS is high achieving and promotes excellence
- 92% say they are proud of EPS and would recommend to friends
- 89% say “I trust the School Board and Administration to do what is right for children in the district.”
Visit the District Homepage to view District News and Achievements where you can read more about the achievements of EPS students, staff and schools!
A philosophy of continuous improvement is fundamental at Edina Public Schools. In strategic planning, curriculum and policy development, and community engagement, EPS focuses its work on growing toward a future that is both challenging and exciting. Continuous improvement is what makes EPS a national leader in 21st Century education and earns the District high rankings and top spots on lists that measure quality by many standards.
EPS advances its continuous improvement strategies while providing consistent academic quality that has been a hallmark of the District for decades. Sustaining this quality and reputation into the future can only be achieved by evolving to meet the diverse needs of students, who will live and work in a world that is constantly changing. That has been, and will continue to be, the definition of Edina Excellence.