Board approves 30-day return to school plan; to be reevaluated Sept. 30
At a special meeting last night, the Edina School Board approved a 30-day, Phase 1 Return to School Plan. The plan includes universal indoor masking required for all people in the school, athletic (unless actively competing or practicing) and activities settings (ages 2 years and older), including teachers, staff, coaches, advisors, students, and visitors to schools, regardless of vaccination status.
- Students will not be required to wear a mask outdoors.
- Clear face shields instead of masks may be utilized by staff who are teaching lessons that require students to see facial cues to enhance learning. This may include learning experiences for students who are deaf or hard of hearing, classes for multilingual learners, phonics and or speech development lessons.
Additional, layered mitigation strategies will also be in place:
- All students and staff wear masks when riding EPS transportation;
- Monitoring students for the signs and symptoms of infectious disease, like influenza and COVID-19;
- Ensure as much physical distancing between students and teachers as is feasible during the day;
- HEPA filters in PreK-12 classrooms and nursing offices;
- Promote hygiene protocols; provide hand-sanitizer stations, and signage provided throughout the school;
- Daily or as-needed cleaning of high touch surfaces;
- Visitor safety protocol;
- Quarantine protocol for staff and students;
- Provide information and education on vaccination opportunities;
- Use of outdoor learning spaces when possible;
- A COVID Coordinator at each site.