Weather Emergencies & School Closings
All unscheduled school closing, late start, or early release information will be communicated in the following ways:
- Automated voicemail
- Text (be sure you have opted in to receive text messages from School Messenger - the district's emergency response notification system)
- District and school websites
- Mobile App
- Postings on district social media channels
- Local Television Outlets - WCCO (Channel 4), KSTP (Channel 5), KMSP/FOX (Channel 9), and KARE (Channel 11)
NOTE: Cancellations of other programs and events will also be announced.
Sometimes the unpredictable Minnesota weather makes an early decision not possible. We will announce a change to the school schedule as soon as we are able.
In accordance with Board Policy 807, all school closings and/or schedule changes are decided by the Superintendent or their designee.
The most compelling reason for closing schools will be the safety of students and employees.Decisions to cancel or shorten the regular school day and after-school activities shall be made by the superintendent or their designee in consultation with other staff, and may include consultation with local city personnel and neighboring school districts, as appropriate. The Director of Business Services and the Supervisor of Transportation will consult with the Superintendent to ensure facilities are able to receive students and busses are able to run routes. Decisions on school closings and late starts will be made as early as possible – either the night before or as early in the morning as possible.
*The decision to move to an e-Learning Day will be district wide.
- Why would the district consider closing or delaying the school day?
- When are decisions made to cancel school?
- How will staff/families be notified?
- How will the district determine Late Starts and Early Dismissals?
- What about After School and Evening Activities?
- What about Community Education and the Success Center?
- What about Early Learning Center activities?
- What about Weekend Events and/or Facility Rentals?
The plan to implement e-Learning Days has been in place since Fall 2019. In 2017, State Legislation amended the Length of School Year; Hours of Instruction (Minn. Stat. § 120A.41) to include the option of e-Learning Days due to inclement weather. The School Board approved the District’s e-Learning Day plan in July 2019.