Introducing Edina Virtual Academy (EVA)
This summer, the Instructional Planning Team re-invented the distance learning model that was so quickly created in March. We’ve named it Edina Virtual Academy and it is not the same “crisis” model you experienced last spring.
We learned a lot last spring, and even more in summer focus groups with students, families and staff. In addition to further research on virtual learning, and sharing of information with other districts, more than 100 EPS teachers have participated in summer professional learning called “Applying Lessons Learned from Distance Learning.” All of this work has resulted in an improved and more holistic distance learning experience to be implemented for the 2020-21 school year.
Here are some changes you can expect:
- Professional development for employees on best practices around virtual learning
- Enhanced support for families on how to access learning technology
- Increased level of consistency and reliability in regard to digital learning spaces (Seesaw Gr. K-2, Schoology Gr. 3-12)
- Use of Seesaw and Schoology to provide parents with more streamlined, thorough, and predictable communication
- More robust video tools including enhanced video conferencing capability
- More live, interactive learning opportunities
- Expanded Advisory experience at secondary level
- Ensuring access to technology and internet for all learners
- Enhanced distribution of physical and digital learning materials
EVA will offer French immersion for Normandale and Valley View students. EHS students will find the same curricular options as the hybrid model, with all required courses, including AP, being offered. (Enrollment may effect the ability to offer some electives.)
The EVA academic experience will follow the same EPS curriculum as the hybrid model, and is designed to be rigorous and engaging. It will be staffed by the same dedicated and extremely qualified Edina faculty and employees that are the foundation of the academic excellence for which Edina Public Schools is known.