• Health & Wellness

    Medications and Treatments at School


    Whenever possible, the parent or guardian should make arrangements so that it is not necessary for school personnel to administer a medication to a student. However, there are cases when a student's health could be compromised by not getting medication during school hours. When sending any prescription or nonprescription medication to school each year, parents must send:

    1. Written parent permission (see Administration form) authorizing school personnel to administer medication.
    2. A written order from the physician (see Administration form) indicating the necessity of any (prescription or over-the counter) medication, including dose and how often it can be given. The physician may fax the order to the school.
    3. The original labeled container of the medication. For prescription medication, the pharmacist will supply a duplicate labeled container so one can be kept at home and one can be kept at school. Each container should have the phone number of the pharmacy, student's name, physician's name, medication's name, dosage, time to be given, and route (oral, inhaled, etc.).


    Medication to be administered at school is to be kept in the Health Office. Exceptions are students who may carry an asthma inhaler or an epipen, if they have a written doctor’s order and written parental permission to do so, and have demonstrated to the school nurse competency in administration.

    Half Tablets

    Health Services Staff is not responsible for breaking tablets in half. This will not be done at school. When there is a physician order to give one-half of a tablet, please talk with your pharmacist.

    Field Trips

    If your child takes daily or as-needed medication, you will be receiving a form to complete indication whether or not here is a need for this medication on field trips. Health Services staff do not routinely accompany students on field trips and a teacher may be responsible for administration of medication.

    Standard Medications

    Health Services Staff will administer only medication that is listed and described in the Standard Physician's Desk Reference (PDR) or the Over-the-counter (OTC) PDR.

    Nebulizer Treatments

    When nebulizer treatments are required, special arrangements must be made in advance with the Licensed School Nurse.

    Thank you for your cooperation with these medication procedures. Our intent is to insure safety and good health for your child.