To learn more about EPS Distance Learning Plan for Multilingual English Learners, please visit EPS Distance Learning Plan.
Elementary and Secondary Programs
Multilingual Learner (ML) service in the elementary schools is provided through a pullout and/or push-in program. ML schedules are coordinated with the classroom teacher so that children do not miss important classroom instructional time or specialists (i.e., gym, music, art). The ESL teacher and classroom teacher work closely together to plan an instructional program that is most beneficial for the language and academic needs of each student.
Parent/teacher conferences are held twice a year - in the fall and in the spring - in order to communicate student progress. Measures of Academic Progress (MAP) test and the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment (MCA) are given in spring for grades 3, 4, and 5; the Cognitive Abilities Assessment (CogAT) is given in spring for grades 2 and 4.
Secondary Multilingual Learner service is provided within the student's regular class schedule. One or more class periods each day are designated as ESL classes, depending on the language needs of the student. Conferences are strongly recommended. Report cards are issued four times a year.
We encourage all Multilingual Learners to stay after school for extra homework help in the media center. Students can get help from teachers, use school computers, and study independently or in small groups.
Community Information and Resources
Here is a list of resources for information that you and your family may find useful. Additionally, visit the Edina Resource Center webpage for much more information.
- Housing - Apartment Search
- Medical - Edina Resource Center
- Adult English classes - Metro South ABE
- Preschool classes - ECFE
- Transportation - Edina Resource Center
- Immunizations - Bloomington Public Health
- Legal - Hennepin County Legal Services
- Edina Youth Sports/Classes - City of Edina,
- Southdale YMCA, Edina Park and Rec (952-826-0367)
- Summer School - Edina Community Education
- MN Department of Education/English Language Learners
- Language Translations
- ESL Educational Resources
- Hennepin County Library Worldlinks
- Free Tax Preparation - (952)-848-3938
Elementary ML Teachers
Concord / Normandale
Cornelia / South View
Middle School ML Teachers
South View / Cornelia
High School ML Teachers
Uli Rodriguez, ML Coordinator