School Board Communications Ad Hoc Committee
The purpose of the Edina School Board Communications Ad Hoc Committee is to review the current state of school board communications with the broader community. Please note: this ad hoc committee is only looking at school board communications and not broader school district communications.
- Establish a culture of two-way communication with stakeholders, within the confines of school board legal obligations
- Make information easily accessible
- Demonstrate accountability and transparency through communications standards
- Set the narrative for projects, issues and the school district
- Recognize the varied number of stakeholders of the school board, their varied interests and that communications/messaging needs to vary depending on audience
- Rethink the role of the clerk
- WHO: The Communications Ad Hoc Committee will be comprised of a cross-section of interests of the Edina School Board constituency, including parents and community members. In order to better understand the communications needs and expectations of various stakeholders in our community, the ad hoc committee would like to solicit 6-8 parents/community members to participate in this committee.
- Composition: 6-8 members (not including School Board and district administration)
- EPS preschool, elementary and secondary parents/guardians representing the district’s demographics, to include geographic location, racial/cultural background, socio-economic background and student abilities
- Citizens with backgrounds in marketing, communications or public relations experience a plus, but not required
- WHEN: The Communications Ad Hoc Committee will meet bi-weekly for approximately three months. If needed, the committee will decide if additional meetings are required and plan accordingly. Meeting dates, times and locations will be determined by the group.
- Desire to be engaged in advancing the role of the Edina School Board in its communication and engagement with its constituents
- Willingness to meet, learn, problem solve, innovate and champion School Board communications that serve and engage all constituencies
- Edina Public Schools parent, resident and/or employee
Membership terms on Edina Public Schools advisory committees, councils and teams varies from one to three years. Occasionally, ad hoc committees or task forces are formed to address a specific project or need.
The District holds a call for applicants each spring to fill any vacant seats for the next school year. If there are still opening after the initial call for applicants, the District moves to an open application process. In the case of ad hoc committees or task forces, calls for application are held according to project timelines.
The selection process varies by advisory team and according to the number of applicants and vacancies, and it may include interviews with some candidates. Selection will be made by a subcommittee of School Board members, with notification of selection made the week of April 23.
Data Practices Advisory
Your name, address, current employment position, previous work history, education and training are public data under the Minnesota Data Practices Act (Minn. Stat. Sect. 13.43, subd. 2 & 3) and must be provided to anyone who requests it. Other information is considered private; however all information in this application will be provided to the School Board in a public forum, will be reviewed in public, and will therefore be part of the public record. Although you are not legally required to provide any of the information requested in this application, the information is needed to determine your suitability for appointment to a District advisory team, and failure to provide it may result in you not being considered for the position.