Receive Text Messages from EPS
Edina Public Schools has the ability to use SMS (text) messaging as another communication channel to share important information with families and staff regarding school closures or changes to the school day schedule. Federal law requires recipients to opt-in to receive such messages.
How can I opt-in to receive text messages?
- Text the word “YES” or Y to 67587 from each wireless device on which you wish to receive texts.
- Confirm that all text device numbers you wish to receive messages on are listed in your contact information:
How can I opt-out of receiving text messages?
If you do not wish to receive text messages from Edina Public Schools at a particular cell phone number, you may do one of the following:
- Don’t opt-in and don’t reply to the opt-in invitation message.
- Text “STOP” to 67587 at any time.
Can the text messages come from a district phone number instead of the SchoolMessenger short code?
No, short codes are the industry standard and the only fast and reliable way to deliver mass text notifications.
I opted in but am not receiving texts?
- Ensure that the district has included your correct cell phone number in Infinite Campus (families) or EAC (staff). It may take 24 hours for this number to be active after being changed or added to the system.
- Send a text with the word “YES” from that specific device to 67587. You should receive an opt-in confirmation message from SchoolMessenger.
- If you want to receive texts on multiple cell phones, you must opt in from each phone AND have each phone listed in Infinite Campus or EAC.
Is there a charge to receive these messages?
Depending on your wireless provider, messaging and data rates may apply and are the responsibility of the device owner.
How do I know if it worked?
After you text one of the key words to the short code the system will ALWAYS respond back with one of three messages:
- Opt-in Response: You’re now registered 4 SchoolMessenger notifications. Reply STOP to cancel, HELP for help. Msg&data rates may apply. Msg req varies. Schoolmessenger/com/txt
- Opt-out response: You’re unsubscribed from SchoolMessenger. No more messages will be sent. Reply Y to resubscribe or HELP for help. Msg & data rates may apply.
Any other response, or no response, indicates you should contact your wireless device provider to have SMS messaging/premium content enabled.
What does it mean if I texted “YES” to 67587 and I received some sort of error message back?
If you receive what appears to be an error message similar to one of the following, it most likely means that the short code text messaging is not enabled on your wireless subscription plan:
- Service access denied
- Message failed
- Shortcode may have expired or shortcode texting may be blocked on your account
- Does not participate
These replies DO NOT indicate that the wireless provider can’t receive messages from SchoolMessenger. Rather, they are an indication that the mobile device does not have short code SMS texting enabled for that number. This is sometimes disabled by default on company-provided cell phones. To address this, contact your wireless provider.
[Note: Providers sometimes use various names for this type of texting service (e.g. short code, SMS, premium, etc.). If you simply ask about text messaging, your carrier may assume you are referring to person-to-person texting. Therefore be very clear to refer to “short code” text messages. Most TV programs with a voting component use short code SMS messaging (e.g. American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, etc.). Using an example such as this can be a way to clarify the type of texting service you want to enable.]
Will I be charged for the text messages that I receive from SchoolMessenger?
SchoolMessenger does not charge recipients for the text messages that they receive or send to the short code; however, wireless providers may charge for individual text messages depending on the plan associated with the wireless device.
If you have questions or require additional information, please contact the Edina Public Schools Technology Help Desk: 952-848-4915.