K-12 Math Curriculum Review 2016-17
Design Team Belief Statement
We believe all students are capable of high levels of mathematical thinking through creative lessons and materials that promote engagement and inquiry. We believe in the development of a student’s productive disposition which is the “inclination to see mathematics as sensible, useful, and worthwhile, coupled with a belief in diligence and one’s own efficacy.” (NRC, 2001, p. 116) We believe that faster is not necessarily better, and that we can challenge students through greater depth. We believe that all students have a right to a mathematics programs that supports their growth, and that it is important to report growth towards mastery of all of the MN Mathematics Standards.
From the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
8 Standards for Mathematical Practice are the job description for the student:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
8 Effective Teaching and Learning Practices from Principles to Actions are job description for the teacher:
- Establish Mathematics Goals to Focus Learning
- Implement Tasks that Promote Reasoning and Problem Solving
- Use and Connect Mathematical Representations
- Facilitate Meaningful Mathematics Discussions
- Pose Purposeful Questions
- Build Procedural Fluency from Conceptual Understanding
- Support Productive Struggle in Learning Mathematics
- Elicit and Use Evidence of Student Thinking
Gr. 6-12 Math Curriculum Review Team
- Dave Boone, EHS
- Keisha Dokken, South View
- Alex Galt, EHS
- Jennifer Hurt, Valley View
- Scott Lenz, South View
- Andrea Loger, K-12 Math Coodinator
- Meg Schluckebier, Valley View
- Shannon Seaver, EHS
- Laura Slominski, EHS
December 2016 -- The Design Team is ready to begin work on looking and betting various curriculums to align with the belief statements and guiding principles of the group. The following Curriculums will be presented to the Design Team in 2017.
- Connected Mathematics Project
- College Prep Mathematics (6-12)
- Holt courses 1, 2, & 3
- Glencoe - Core Plus
- College Pep. Mathematics (6-12)
- HMH Algebra, Geometry, Algebra 2
Oct. 18, 2016 -- The 6-12 Math Study team meet for a full day. The majority of the work focused on the overarching vision for the secondary math department. The group reviewed MCA math data for the district and aligned courses to Edina’s Educational Competencies. They also partook in some professional growth activities. The remainder of the day was spent reviewing, discussing, and envisioning the math experience for 6-12 Edina students. Current strengths, challenges, and opportunities were shared regarding math at each grade level. Possible pathways as well as courses were discussed in order to align to the teams beliefs and guiding principles around math education.