Edina Public Schools believes students must play an active role in what, when, where and how they learn to reach their full potential and be prepared for the dynamic world that awaits them. In order to allow all students to progressively advance ownership of their learning, Edina Public Schools will partner with families and the community to develop customized learning pathways that promote success for all students. By instilling a personalized learning philosophy throughout the organization, Edina Public Schools will be able to achieve its mission of educating all learners with the skills they need to thrive in a rapidly changing, culturally diverse, global society.
Edina Public Schools believes that personalized learning:
- Motivates students to follow their interests and take ownership of their learning to their full potential
- Modifies learning opportunities to continually challenge learners and encourage academic growth, while keeping success within reach
- Encourages flexibility in when, where and how students learn
- Redefines the role of teacher to that of a facilitator of learning rather than a deliverer of knowledge, both at the individual instructor level and as part of a collaborative professional team
- Fosters relationships focused on individual learner needs among students, teachers and families
- Provides opportunities for families and the community to engage with and promote learning both inside and outside the classroom
Key Pillars of Personalized Learning
Personalized Learning in Action
Six contraptions built by Edina High School students have transformed adaptive physical education at South View into an inclusive opportunity to play games and sports. The creations could all be described as a type of catapult and were designed by 20 EHS students in their capstone engineering and design class, taught by Tim Berndt.
“I think the environment needs a lot of help.” That opinion, shared by a member of the South View Environmental Group (SVEG), is what moves 18 students to meet twice each week during advisory to brainstorm ideas on ways to inform and change the habits of their peers in ways that are Earth-friendly.