Next Generation Learning Spaces
How space impacts learning
Edina Public Schools believes that by updating outdated classrooms and creating a variety of learning environments that complement current spaces and meet the needs of a diverse teaching and learning needs, it will be better able to personalize learning and advance excellence for all students.
So does space really impact learning? The following research studies and articles were reviewed by district study teams and the Facilities Advisory Task Force as part of the research and development of recommendations for the Next Generation Facilities Plan.
- Improved school designs can boost learning (Minnesota Public Radio, 3/23/13)
- School Design May Affect a Child’s Grades (Wired, 1/3/13)
- 10 Current School Facility Features that are Obsolete (School Design Matters, 6/20/12)
Space Matters: The impact of formal learning environments on student learning (British Journal of Educational Technology, 2010)
Built Environments Impact Behaviors. Results of an Active Learning Post-Occupancy Evaluation (Planning for Higher Education Journal, Oct.-Dec. 2013)
Pedagogy and Space: Empirical Research on New Learning Environments (Educause Review, 12/15/2011)
- The Third Teacher: 79 Ways you Can Use Design to Transform Teaching & Learning (2010)
- The Third Teacher: a case study (video)
- Learning Spaces (2006)
While specific designs have not yet been created, district study teams have researched schools nationally and internationally to learn about instructional space design and see what transformed spaces could look like in Edina Public Schools.
- 21st Century Media Centers
- Traditional approach to school design (40 second clip)
- One school’s example of how they redeveloped existing space (8 minute clip)
- Video created by school that was redesigned – includes interviews with teachers and students of how the redesigned space has impacted teaching and learning (1:45 minute video)
- New school design (San Antonio, TX) - while this is brand new construction and not retrofit, some of the same concepts around flexible spaces and creating a variety of areas align with the district's Next Generation Learning plans (2 minute clip)
- Additional videos and resources on Innovative Learning Spaces