Edina Synchronized Swimming
In 1959 the first Edina Synchronized Swimming program was introduced. The girls practices, put on shows and compete at AAU Competitions.
In 1961 Beth Foss (11) and Linda Seashore (12) founded the “Aqua-Nymphs” as a recreational and competitive club for girls through synchronized swimming.
In the 1950s, 60s, and early 70s Synchronized Swimming in Edina was a highly competitive club team. There were try-out for the team each fall for 11th and 12th graders. The team swam year round, once a week. They held competitions and top teams traveled to AAU Junior Olympic meet in June. Shows were also a large part of the synchronized Swimming team. They also enjoyed social events, like mother/daughter teas, progressive and mystery dinners together.
In 1973 the team was split into the two different schools. Edina East – The Aqua Nymphs and Edina West – The Nerieds
During the 1976-1977 school year, Synchronized Swimming was recognized as an interscholastic sport for girls in the Lake Conference. Schools in the Lake Conference included Edina East, Edina West, Bloomington Jefferson, Bloomington Kennedy, Bloomington Lincoln, Osseo, Park Center and Saint Louis Park. This changed the sport from year round to the 12 week spring sport that we still have. The sport was only offered to 10-12 graders. 9th grade was added in the late 1970’s and 7th and 8th graders were added in 1981.
In the 1990s, sections were added to qualify for State. Three sections were created, East, Central and West. Edina is still apart of the central section along with Bloomington, Osseo/Maple Grove/Park Center, and Saint Louis Park.
Edina Magazine Article from May 2018 - Edina Magazine Article from May 2018