Best Practices and Resources
Action Steps to increase instructional Staff Assessment Literacy
1. Support and strengthen PLC teams
• Create a cultural shift in the school2. Increase skills in data analysis and interpretation
• Create an understanding of the process
• Address the skills needed for self-directed learning
• Get the right facilitators
• Provide facilitators with adequate support
• Ensure the active support of school leaders
• Analyzing multiple types of data (achievement, process, demographic, and perception surveys)3. Understand and increase use of formative assessment and feedback
• Interpreting data to determine learning targets
• Using data to measure progress towards the learning targets
• Learning to make ongoing adjustments to both goals and strategies for attaining the learning target
• Provide students with a clear and understandable vision of the learning targets4. Develop and implement common summative assessments
• Use examples and models of strong and weak work;
• Offer regular descriptive feedback;
• Teach students to self-assess and set goals;
• Design lessons to focus on one learning target
• Teach students focused revision;
• Engage students in self-reflection, and let them keep track of and share their learning.
• Identify specifically which students did not demonstrate mastery of essential standard(s).
• Identify specifically which students did demonstrate mastery of essential standard(s).
• Identify effective instructional practices.
• Identify patterns in student mistakes.
• Measure the accuracy of the assessment.
• Plan and target interventions, extension, and enrichment based on need.
ResourcesAll Things PLC
“This site is a collaborative, objective resource for educators and administrators who are committed to enhancing student achievement. We invite you to share your knowledge, ask questions, and get expert insight into the issues educators face each day.”Best Evidence Encyclopedia
CARLA’s Immersion Education & Research (Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition
Frameworks from SciMath MN
Frameworks are resources developed to help teachers translate Minnesota math and science standards into classroom practice and assist in student achievement of those standards.
Generator School Network
This online community is the leading resource for fast and easy service-learning professional development and networking. Edina Public Schools uses service-learning as an instructional strategy to support students’ academic and competency achievements.
Marzano Research Lab
“When MRL recommends an instructional practice or strategy, you can be sure it has been rigorously vetted. Before recommending a practice, we collect all the relevant research, group the research findings by each study's purpose and variables, analyze the results, and calculate the effect of that practice on student learning. Next, we translate our findings into easily used strategies for teachers and administrators.”
What Works Clearinghouse
Evidence for What Works in Education
“We review the research on the different programs, products, practices, and policies in education. Then, by focusing on the results from high-quality research, we try to answer the question 'What works in education?' Our goal is to provide educators with the information they need to make evidence-based decisions.”