FAQs - Life, AD&D, LTD
- Who is our current insurance company for Life, AD&D, and LTD?
- What if I choose not to enroll now in group life or LTD?
- Does a pre-existing condition clause apply to the long-term disability plan?
- How do I file a claim for long-term disability?
- When can I add supplemental life insurance for my spouse and children to my plan?
- Can I add supplemental life insurance whenever I want to?
- I already carry supplemental life insurance through the district. Can I increase it.?
- I carry supplemental life insurance, but I want to drop it. When can I do that?
- I remember hearing that ING has value-adds with their insurance products. What are they?
- How much voluntary AD&D coverage can I elect?
- What is Guarantee Issue?
- What is Evidence of Insurability?
- I’m a new employee and I elected $200,000 in supplemental life insurance. CHS sent me a form to provide Evidence of Insurability. What if I don’t want to fill it out?
- I’ve never elected supplemental life insurance but I want to during this open enrollment. What if I don’t want to fill out the Evidence of Insurability form?
- Is Evidence of Insurability required to enroll in Long Term Disability?
- Until what age can my children be covered by my supplemental life insurance?
- How do I change the beneficiary on my life insurance?
- Does the district offer long-term care insurance?
Life, AD&D, and LTD insurance are offered through Madison National Insurance. You can make changes to your beneficiary by contacting Corporate Health Systems.
Because the group plan is employer-paid, you are automatically enrolled once you have met the eligibility requirements. Supplemental life insurance and personal accident insurance are optional.
Yes. Please refer to the Summary Plan Description (available by request from Corporate Health Systems) for details.
Contact Corporate Health Systems for a claim form and/or more information. You can also indicate to Human Resources, when you complete your leave of absence paperwork, that you are interested in filing for LTD. They can get the ball rolling with CHS for you.
You can add supplemental life insurance during the open enrollment period, however you will be subject to questions about your medical history. During initial enrollment, you are offered a one-time open enrollment period where you are guaranteed a certain amount of coverage without having to fill out those forms. Filling out those forms does not mean you’ll be denied the amount you request; it may be a factor depending on your medical history.
No, you can only add it during an enrollment period. If you elect it when it is initially offered to you, you can receive up to a guaranteed issue amount without providing evidence of insurability (answering medical questions). If you add it later during an open enrollment period, you have to provide evidence of insurability for any amount.
Yes, you can, during an open enrollment period, and you have to provide evidence of insurability for the additional amount.
During open enrollment or if you have a qualifying status change.
Click on the Life, LTD, and AD&D page for copies of the flyers detailing these benefits.
- ING Travel Assistance
- Employee Assistance Program
- A worksheet for determining how much life insurance you need
You can also find the Employee Assistance Program flyer on our benefits page: Staff Handbook - Benefits
Coverage can be purchased in increments of $25,000 to a maximum or $500,000.
“Guarantee issue” is the amount of supplemental life insurance coverage you may purchase without having to provide Evidence of Insurability (answer medical questions, perhaps have a physical, etc.). For most employees the guarantee issue amount is 3.5 times your salary. You may elect to purchase over that amount, and you would be guaranteed the initial amount, but you would receive another form to try for the additional coverage.
If you do not elect supplemental life insurance during your initial enrollment, or if you want to add coverage above the guarantee issue amount, you need to fill out a form for ING (available from CHS when you enroll) answering some medical questions. ING might require a physical exam, or other evidence of insurability.
I’m a new employee and I elected $200,000 in supplemental life insurance. CHS sent me a form to provide Evidence of Insurability. What if I don’t want to fill it out?
That’s fine. You will still receive the guarantee issue amount but nothing above that.
I’ve never elected supplemental life insurance but I want to during this open enrollment. What if I don’t want to fill out the Evidence of Insurability form?
Sorry. Because this is not your initial enrollment, you cannot receive any supplemental life insurance without providing evidence of insurability. You still have the group life insurance according to your contract/guidebook.
No. Because this plan is employer-paid, you are automatically enrolled once you have met the eligibility requirements.
Supplemental life covers children until their 19th birthday, OR until their 25th birthday ONLY as long as they are full-time students.
If it's open enrollment time, review the personal information on the online enrollment system, including your beneficiary information, for accuracy. If any of this information needs to be changed, please indicate the changes on the form. At any other time during the year, contact Corporate Health Systems.
Long-term care insurance is not offered as a benefit through the district. However, you can obtain information on group long-term care insurance (LTC) through the Educational Pool from CNA and Corporate Health Systems (CHS). A flyer was provided as a courtesy in you open enrollment packet, but mistakenly came single-sided when it was supposed to be double-sided. You can contact Corporate Health Systems for more details and they can connect you with CNA.
If you want to peruse a CNA enrollment packet, one is available for check-out from Emily La Fave, Benefits Specialist. You can decide from there if you would like CNA to send you a packet. To give you an idea of it, attachment with several pages from the CNA LTC packet, including contact information, is available on the main Life, AD&D, and LTD page.
Payroll Deductions, District
Insurance WebsiteSara RiegelCompensation & Benefits SpecialistDistrict Office952-848-4905
Enrollment/Status Changes/EligibilityJanet Bear-RivardPlanSourceDirect: (612) 256-0842Fax: 1-616-243-5606ORTammy KnappPlanSourceDirect: (612) 256-0843Fax: (407) 386-8142
ReimbursementPlanSourceDirect: (612)256-0852Toll Free: (866)546-9134Fax: (407)386-8937
COBRA/RetireeJoAnne LynchPlanSourceDirect: (612) 256-0844Fax: (952) 939-0990