Edina High School Profile
The profile is sent with every post secondary application.
6754 Valley View Road ~ Edina ~ Minnesota ~ 55439-1761
952-848-3800 ~ Fax: 952-848-3119 ~ School Code 240-708
Dr. John W. Schultz
Assistant Principal/Activities Director
Dean of StudentsJeff Marshall
Senior Class Size:662
College Board and National Association for College Admission Counseling
Nicole Plafcan 952-848-3181
Angela Kieffer 952-848-3122
Taylor Johnson 952-848-3142
Dylan Hackbarth 952-848-3125
Lisa Burnham 952-848-3126
Sandra Schmidt 952-848-3128
Julie Block 952-848-3188
Robin Dayneko 952-848-3189
Bill Hicks 952-848-3127
A comprehensive curriculum of 140+ courses emphasizes preparation for college. Besides extensive offerings in English, mathematics, social studies and sciences, study in seven languages is offered: six years of French and Spanish, five in German and Latin, four in Japanese and three years in Chinese and American Sign Language (ASL). Please note: We do not offer first and second year classes in French. Sophomores in our 9-12 high school will typically take the third year of this language. One notable exception: approximately 40 French students in tenth grade have been part of our Immersion program since kindergarten; as sophomores, they will take French IV or Diverse Francophone World. As juniors, they’ll take Pre-AP French Language & Culture or French V. As seniors, they all have an opportunity to take AP French Language & Culture.
In addition, students have an opportunity to take courses in business education, family and consumer sciences, performing and fine arts and physical education.
For complete course descriptions go to
Edina students have numerous opportunities for enriched (accelerated) or AP courses.
Post Secondary Enrollment Option
In addition, 11th and 12th grade students may also complete graduation requirements by taking course work, funded by the state, at Minnesota public and private colleges. Thirty plus seniors, designated as PSEO on their transcript, are enrolled in this program on a full or part-time basis for the 2019-20 school year.
AP Courses (26 total)
Chinese Language & Culture
Comparative Government & Politics
Computer Science Principles
French Language & Culture
Spanish Language & Culture
Statistics & Trigonometry
Studio Art 2D
United States Government & Politics
United States History
United States Literature & Language
World Literature & Language
Enriched (ENR) Courses (10 total)
Pre-AP English 9
Pre-AP English 10
Pre-AP French Language & Culture
French IV: Immersion
Edina is both a small city, population 49,050 and a suburban, residential community on the southwest edge of Minneapolis. With a high percentage of college graduated, most parents are employed in professional and managerial positions.
Of the 170 certified faculty members, 75 percent have earned master's, specialists or doctoral degrees.
Besides the formal curriculum, Edina students are engaged in many co-curricular activities at our school. Surveys show approximately 90% of our high school students take part in these activities. One in three takes one or more leadership roles. Edina offers a wide array of opportunities including athletics, debate, music, publications, student government, theater, and clubs ranging from art to foreign language to math. Our Youth Serving Youth program, focusing on leadership, community service and social awareness has over fifteen groups.
Beginning with the Class of 2008, by Board Policy, Edina High School will not rank students, but will provide a grade distribution chart by deciles. Decile rank is determined by deciles, that is, groups of ten percent of the senior class. With a senior class of 600 students, for example, the first decile includes approximately the top 60 students GPA's. The second decile contains the next ten percent and so forth.
Recent Test Scores
ACT-American College Test (2017-18)
Number of seniors taking the test: 670
Percent of the class: 99%ACTEnglish %Math %Reading %Science Reasoning %33-362312251328-321923202124-272027202920-231916162016-191016131113-1566440-124021Mean Scores25.825.026.425.84
The average ACT score was 26.3
Note: According to ACT, the percentage of Edina students ready for college level course work was twice as high as the typical Minnesota High School graduate.
SAT Reasoning Test (2018-19)
Number of seniors taking the test: 87
Percent of the class: 12%SAT ReasoningMeanEvidence Based Reading & Writing
Advanced Placement ProgramSchool YearStudentsTests% of Scores 3+
2018-19 1,268 2,638 85% 2017-18 1,259 2,466 87.7% 2016-17 1,250 2,355 85.8%2015-161,2062,54785.6%2014-151,2442,50086%
Note: Edina High School administered in May 2017, almost twice as many AP exams as any other high school in the state of Minnesota.
Advanced Placement Scholars
Number of Scholars: 576
Average Score: 4.09
2019 School Year# of StudentsAverageScore AP Scholars178 3.32 AP Scholars with Honor119 3.82 AP Scholars with Distinction279 4.27 National AP Scholar71 4.53
National Merit Scholarship Program
2020 2019 2018 20172016Semifinalist 19 17 161420Commended Students 20 30 313521Percent of Entire Class 5.57% 6.71% 7.0%7.2%6.4%
The Board of Education requires a minimum of 43 credits in grades 9-12, class of 2020 are:
- English-Three years, including one year of literature
- Health-One semester; Physical Education-One semester
- Math-Two years, at least through Advanced Algebra
- Science-Two years, including Biology and at least two additional credits
- Social Studies-One year of U.S. History, one semester of economics, and one year of either World History or European History. The state geography requirement is satisfied through a year of U.S. History and either a year of World History or European History.
A = 4.0 C = 2.0 P = Passing A- = 3.7 C- = 1.7 NG = No Grade B+ = 3.3 D+ = 1.3 NC = No Credit B = 3.0 D = 1.0 S = Satisfactory B- = 2.7 D- = .7 C+ = 2.3 F = 0
Class of 2019
Four-year colleges/universities 85%
- 53% public, 47% private
- 44% Minnesota, 56% out of state
Graduates will attend 199 different Colleges and Universities in 2019-2020
Community Colleges . . . . . . . . . 11%
Other . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4%
Honors and Awards
- US Department of Education National School Excellence
Named 21st Century Learning Exemplar School for 2016-2017. Received honor for exemplary 21st century learning practices in preparing students for success in college, career and life. Edina High School is the first high school in Minnesota to receive this designation.
U.S. News & World Report - 2015 named Gold Medalist for high performance on state assessments and college readiness.
Newsweek - 2015 one of the “Best High Schools” in America. Edina was the top-ranked school in Minnesota and 71st nationally.
- Five Star School (highest ranking possible) designated by the Minnesota Department of Education.
- Edina Public Schools name on of ten global winners in Google's "Gone Google Story" contest. Google recognized Edina's innovative use of Google Apps to transform the way students and staff engage in learning in a global society.
- Student publications include Images, our literary arts magazine, Zephyrus, our student newspaper, and Windigo, our yearbook. Each of these publications has won state and national awards from organizations such as Columbia Scholastic Press Association, Journalism Educators of Minnesota, and the National Scholastic Press Association. Students are selected for Windigo and Zephyrus through a competitive process.
- Comprehensive music program features Concert, Symphonic, Varsity, Marching and Pep Bands; Symphonic, Chamber and Philharmonic orchestras; Concert Choir, Varsity, Men's and Bel Canto Choir. Small groups include jazz ensembles, chamber choirs, solo and ensemble contest participation. The Concert Choir, Concert Band and Orchestra have earned superior ratings from the Minnesota State High School League for decades.
GRAMMY® Signature school. This award recognizes the top public high schools across the United States that have made outstanding commitments to music education. Edina High School was the only Minnesota High School to be selected in 2005 and 2007. The Minnesota String and Orchestra Teachers Association (MNSOTA) recognized Edina Public Schools' (EPS) orchestra program with the 2017 Meritorious Orchestra Program Award.
- 167 state athletic championships - #1 among 500 members of the Minnesota State High School League.
- The Green Machine, Edina's FIRST robotics team, won the Best Website and Engineering inspiration awards in regional competition.
- Named one of the best High School Athletic Programs in the Nation by Sports Illustrated.
- The Debate team was awarded the National Award of Excellence in Debate by the National Speech and Debate Association in 2014.
Guidance Office Contacts
Assignment of students to counselors is done alphabetically as indicated on the top of the profile. Each counselor is responsible for students in each of the three grades including 100-125 seniors. Besides the counselors listed on the front page, two administrative assistants serve the department. Mrs. Nancy Knutson (952) 848-3131 works with Nikki Plafcan, Angela Kieffer, Taylor Johnson and Dylan Hackbarth. Ms. Maggie Carlson (952) 848-3129 works with Lisa Burnham, Sandy Schmidt, Julie Block and Rogin Dayneko. College representatives' visits may be scheduled by calling (952) 848-3131, if possible, at least two weeks in advance of the desired time.
Updated October 10, 2019