Counseling and Advising
Laura.Livesay@edinaschools.orgJill Wait, 504 Coordinator
Criteria For "Substantially Limited"
- Is the students receiving a C- or below in most or all of core classes (past and current)?
- Does student have an updated/current assessment?
- Are the student’s processing speed scores at the 25th percentile or less?
- Has student been previously considered or received services in SpEd or a 504?
- Is attendance is an interfering factor?
- Is chemical use a possible interfering factor?
- If prescribed medication, is student complying with medication regimen?
- Have there been past meetings with teachers, counselor, administrators to address concerns?
- Does the student currently have an intervention plan now or in the past?
- Have other interventions been attempted (interventions need to have shown no success over a period of 6-12 weeks or more)?
Examples of Supports/Interventions:
- Reducing course load (including removal from AP/Enr courses & 0 hour)
- Structured Study Hall (Morning Prep & Afternoon Prep)
- Study skills class (such as Sophomore Seminar)
- Weekly scheduled time with teacher(s) before or after school
- Coming in early to start a test, when possible and arranged ahead of time
- After school study help in Media Center
- Increased communication between home and school
- Successful use of organizational system
- Lifestyle interventions (limiting technology use, sleep protocol, etc.)
- Outside therapy or support system