Emergency School Closings
Who makes the decision to close school?
In accordance with district policy, all school closings and/or schedule changes are decided by the Superintendent or his designee. The most compelling reason for closing schools will be the safety of students and employees. Decisions to cancel or shorten the regular school day and after school activities shall be made by the superintendent or his designee in consultation with other staff, and may include consultation with local city personnel and neighboring school districts, as appropriate. The Director of Business Services and the Supervisor of Transportation will consult with the Superintendent to ensure facilities are able to receive students and busses are able to run routes. Decisions on school closings and late starts will be made as early as possible – either the night before or as early in the morning as possible.
Why would the district consider closing or delaying the school day?
The decision may be the result of inclement weather, loss of power, water main break and/or other emergency situations that may occur within the district. The Superintendent works with the Director of Business Services to verify the conditions of the roads and the ability for all buses to start and drivers to be able to arrive in time for routes to run.
When are decisions made to cancel school?
Whenever possible, the decision to close school will be made by 5:30 a.m.
How will staff/families be notified?
All school closing information will be communicated by the Director of Communications or designee through:
- Parent/Staff Notification System (automated voicemail)
- District & School websites
- Social Media
- Local Media Outlets - WCCO 830-AM (radio), WCCO (Channel 4), KSTP (Channel 5), FOX 9 KMSP and KARE 11 television. NOTE: local media will identify the District as Edina Public Schools
How will the district determine Late Starts and Early Dismissals?
Late starts and early dismissals are inherently difficult for many programs and families. With this in mind, administration will do their best to keep these to a minimum. Early dismissals will be determined as conditions dictate. All families should have a contingency plan for their children in the event of school closings.
In the event of a late start, Edina High School Zero Hour is cancelled as well as morning ECSE and morning Edina Community Education programs, including Edina Family Center, KIDS Club, WISE Guys and SURGE.
What about After School and Evening Activities?
Decisions to cancel after school and evening activities will be made by 3 p.m. and will not necessarily be tied to a school closing. This decision will be made by the Superintendent in consultation with the Director of Business Services and the Activities Director.
What about Community Education Evening Activities?
Community Education activities are included as part of the District decision.
- When school is cancelled, the following programs are also cancelled:
- KIDS CLUB, WISE Guys, and SURGE
- Edina Family Center activities and child care
- Adult and youth enrichment classes
- Success Center
- When a Late Start is called, the following are cancelled:
- Morning Early Childhood Family Center Activities (preschool, family education, early childhood and childcare); Classes Resume at noon.
- Morning KIDS Club, WISE Guys, and SURGE
- Adult and youth enrichment morning classes held before noon.
- Success Center
- Edina High School Zero Hour
- When an Early Dismissal is called, the following are cancelled:
- Family Center Activities
- Adult and youth enrichment classes held after school and in the evening
- Afternoon KIDS Club, WISE Guys, and SURGE
- Success Center
What about Weekend Events and/or Facility Rentals?
Weekend events and/or facility rentals will be determined by appropriate Community Education and athletic staff and communicated via local media outlets.